...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Sugar Fast

So, Lent is here, and my niece and I decided to give up sweets and be all strong for each other and stuff.  Her immediate family, being big and having so many girls in it, always has something going on, so my sugar fast is offered up for her family, for peace and love and happiness.

While my niece was here and we were playing tourist, for the most part it really wasn't hard.  I was happy and relaxed and going with the flow.

I returned to work yesterday and within two hours I was jonesing for cookies and daydreaming about salted caramel brownies.  Stress eat much?

I powered through and am not ashamed to say I basically cancelled my plans for the evening, went straight home, cried for a bit, then ate dinner.  Then I felt better.  Then I realized I had gone 7 hours from lunch to dinner with nothing.  I cry when I get too hungry.  That's why I try to eat something right after I work out.  I feel all great and on a high, and then 15 minutes later, I'm sobbing over hitting a red light.  Almonds to the rescue!

So, 7 days into the Lenten Fast and I have to say, I really don't feel all that different.  I haven't lost any weight.  My energy isn't spiking.  I haven't had any life-impacting epiphanies except to try to eat every 3-4 hours so I don't burst into tears.

Since giving up sugar for Lent wasn't about a physical transformation, I don't mind.  It was about spiritual growth, sacrificing something that isn't inherently bad just for the intention that whatever "suffering" happens is offered up for others.

I have a friend who gave up French fries, and will not eat them until abortion is made illegal.  She wasn't addicted, she didn't over eat them and she wasn't overweight.  There is inherent grace in giving up something just to keep our intentions focused -every small sacrifice done with love makes a difference.

Of course, love is always what makes the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment