...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Friday, January 24, 2014

Dreams and Other Beautiful Things

What does it take to build a dream?

What does it take to pull out of every day life of repetitive tasks and paying bills and addressing immediate concerns?

Sometimes a shock, or a nagging idea that wakes you up at night and makes you pull out your sketchbook, or when no other option seems open to you, because your life would not seem RIGHT without that.

I don't think most people have just one dream, either.  I think about the dreams I've had over the years:

Owning a horse (ages 4-14)
Meeting God (always in the back of my head)
Getting married (ages ? - never mind)
Having kids
Being a nun
Graduating from law school
Being a great belly dancer
Being financially stable
Having a career
Getting healthy
Going to Spain

And more.  Some of these have happened,  some not.  Some I've released (such as owning a horse!) and some remain held in hope.  Some happened without any planning at all.  Some take a great deal of structure.

I read a passage in a book I am reading in my faith sharing group that essentially says, Sometimes just as there are no sufficient answers, the questions themselves are a mystery.  Therein lies faith.

I marveled recently that my life has been pretty freakin amazing, and how did I get here?  I do not have answers, simply gratitude, and wonder, and sometimes, faith.



1 comment:

  1. Love your thoughts. I look back on my life and, when I examine the challenges and difficulties, I realize it was God's way of "firing" me in His kiln so I could achieve the goals and desires He put there to start with. It took me a VERY long time to "get over myself" and go along with the program, but since then, it has been one beautiful miracle after another. The key is realizing/recognizing the miracle. THAT's what makes life "pretty freaking amazing." ((hug))

    ReplyDelete