...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Hope and Faith

My dear friend, Hope, has a brain tumor.  She and her husband, Rob, have been dealing with this for about 7 years now.  She has been through multiple surgeries, chemo, radiation.  Hope just received news that there is a rapidly growing tumor again.  Options are limited.

I've written about Hope before.  She was my roommate during law school, and a fast friend since then.  Actually, I just realized 2014 is our 20th anniversary of being friends.  Maybe we ought to have a party or something.

Hope reminds me to have faith.  On the phone today, I said, "Hope, I keep praying for a miracle, and it hasn't happened!" and she cut me off.

"I think I've had lots of miracles.  I've gotten all this extra time.  I could have died the first time around, lots of people do.  Besides, you know we don't really DIE, you know?  I'll still be around, just in a different way.  So no matter how this all turns out, I'm okay."

Hope has a peace with this, born out of her faith.  She shared that she and Rob take turns freaking out so they aren't both freaked out at once.  She prays for me because I am so forgetful about remembering God's goodness and mercy.  (The irony is not lost on me that the woman with a brain tumor is praying for MY memory!)

Before we hung up, we reminded each other we love each other, and she promised to give everyone hugs from me, and I promised her to keep praying and we both will wrap ourselves in Love.

1 comment: