...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Being a Grown Up

As I felt my clothing get tighter and tighter, and watched the scale nudge higher and higher, anxiety started to creep in.

I blamed the stress in my life, which admittedly is pretty considerable.  I searched desperately for some sort of motivation to get me back on track.  What do I care about enough to make it a goal for healthy living?

Let's face it, when my choices are "drown the bad feelings in cheesecake and take a nap" or "eat the nice salad and go take a walk in the sunshine and meditate on the fact that you are making healthy choices" cheesecake and napping will win, hands down, every time.

Then I concluded that everything I had been blaming for my weight gain actually wasn't responsible.  The stress did not force feed me cookies.  The anxiety did not pour more wine.  The responsibility was all on me.

Then I concluded that there is nothing I care about enough to make it a goal... I don't care enough about climbing Mt. Humphreys, staying out of a wheelchair when I'm old, or looking hot.  My immediate personal goal has nothing whatsoever to do with anything physical, and all my energy is focused on that.

So, as a friend pointed out, sometimes, you just have to chug away.  It is a duty. It is the right thing to do.  Chug Chug Chug

In other words, be a grown up about it.  Do what needs to be done because it needs to be done.  It isn't fun, new or exciting.  There is no immediate gratification.

I was given this one body.  Scripture tells me I was bought for a price, and so am to glorify God in my body.  It isn't my toy, to discard or abuse as I feel on any given day. 

So, whether I am glorying in everything my body can do (like, dance, pick up heavy stuff, cuddle) or exasperated at its needs (healthy food, enough movement, sunscreen) it isn't about my FEELINGS.

It is about being a grown up about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment