...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving

Last year, I wrote down one good thing that happened every day.  At the end of the year, I had hundreds of reminders of how blessed I am.

This year, I kept that up through March.  

Inconsistency, thy name is Amy.

Like most people, I get anxious about stupid stuff sometimes.  About two months ago, I decided that every time I got worried, I would stop everything and start saying, "thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, Jesus, thank you" and intentionally counting my blessings.

Wake up in the middle of the night filled with quiet dread?  Thank you thank you thank you.

Something happened at work?  Thank you thank you thank you.

An unexpected expense?  Thank you thank you thank you.

My car had problems that took a half day to find someone to fix it... Stopped and said, thank you Jesus, that I have a car that really doesn't break down often, and it is paid for and comfortable and presentable. Thank you.

Delayed flights are an enormous part of my life... Thank you, God, that I live in an age of miracles and can cross the entire continent in hours.

Having a day where I do not want to go to work: thank you, God, that I have a job I love 99% of the time.

Sad or lonely:  God, thank you for this life that is so much bigger than I ever imagined, and please forgive me for not loving it enough sometimes.

Everything I have, everyone I know, every action I am able to take, is pure gift, unearned.  Thank you thank you thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment