...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Everything I Meant to Say

Nothing drives home the message I am a better writer than speaker than being interviewed.

I was so excited -Shannyn Caldwell from Peter and Shannyn In The Morning on Family Life Radio asked if I would be interested in chatting about my blog, particularly the post "Letter to the Upstart Blogger."  Heck yeah!!

I swear I had all kinds of beautiful thoughts right before my mind froze and I think I likely babbled. I'm not really sure.

BUT, because I am a blogger, I have this opportunity to write what I meant to say.

Our hearts are weird.  I don't mean just single people. This is the human condition.

I wanted to emphasize that as a single person, it is very important to appreciate and value the people who are in our lives.  Sometimes we can look so hard at what we want and don't have (spouse, children) that we don't recognize the love that is right there in front of us.

The people who are present in our lives are the ones we are meant to love and be present for.  No, we won't be a primary relationship for them, but that doesn't mean we aren't important, cared for, loved.  God placed us in this amazing time and place for His purposes.  I think part of that is to learn that we count, too, even if we aren't married, and that those people we have in our lives count, too, even when we aren't married to them.

It can be so hard as a single person to continually be the one reaching out to create community, but that is perhaps the burden, that God granted "that I may not seek so much to be consoled as to console, to be understood as to understand, to be loved, as to love..."

and the Prayer of St Francis ends thusly, "for it is in giving that we receive, it is in pardoning that we are pardoned, it is in dying that we are born to eternal life."

And that is the irony, isn't it?  Just when you are at your most tired and lonely, the person you likely least expect will turn around and remind you that you have a space in their weird little heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment