...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Compassion Towards Me

Being a part of 1000 Voice Speak for Compassion has kept my attention on little daily things where compassion is called into play.

Yesterday... well, let me paint the picture.  I was very tired.  My back sent sharp pain down my left leg when I turned too fast.  Almost falling asleep at my desk at 3:30pm.  But I had to go to Target and couple other places. I really just wanted to curl up somewhere quiet with a heating pad and nap.

I had to go to Target to return prescription medicine that wasn't filled correctly.  There was a line.  So my tired pained body had to just stand there and wait, along with everyone else.

They know me there, so the pharm tech called me up by name.  I explained the issue and that I called the day before to affirm the prescription I was SUPPOSED to have, had been filled, and then we could switch it out.

Then I was informed it had been reshelved that morning.

I did it.  I had an internal meltdown that was RIGHT ON THE EDGE of coming out my mouth.  I gasped, out, NO WAY, then clapped a hand over my mouth, on the verge of angry tired tears.

"But I called and ..." blahblahblah pleading with all that is Holy that there was a mistake.

She was so kind and apologetic.  I did NOT want to be That Customer who loses her mind over small stuff.  I knew I was on the edge of a precipice.

I looked her in the eye.  "I'm sorry.  I do not mean to have a meltdown.  I'm just tired and impatient."

And she was still very kind, "I understand.  You are one of our nicest customers, and trust me, you are nowhere near the level of mean some people can throw out at me!"

I was so grateful to her.  Just that small act of compassion, understanding, forgiveness gave me a bit of space from my raw emotions.  I glanced back and saw that the line was even longer than when I had arrived, but there she was, being patient and unhurried with me, as if I was the only one at the counter.

Then on top of that, they "comped" the medication I was picking up, just to be nice to me for me trouble.

Thank you God, for all the people who show such compassion in their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment