...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Friday, April 19, 2013

Two 75 Pound Dumb Bells

I had a whole blog written about caffeine withdrawal.  Then I wrote another one about women and weightlifting.  I'm saving those for another day.  My mind got blown.

Today was a lifting day, so I did my workout, and CRUSHED IT.

Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a guy benching 150 pounds.  I idly thought, wow, that's about how much weight I've lost.

Then, since I was wrapping up my workout, I decided to pick up two 75# dumb bells and just walk around the room with them.  You know, just to see what would happen.

I felt like I would die.

Soooooo HEAVY.

I mean, I didn't just pick them up and set them down.  I picked them up and walked (really, wobbled) around the room.  I'm sure the other folks were wondering a bit about what new workout I was attempting.

And I carried that much extra weight for YEARS.  YEARS!!  (Granted, it was more evenly distributed, but still...!)  I danced, hiked, walked, traveled and in general lived my life carrying another human being around on me.

Damn.  I'm more awesome than I thought!

I barely got the weights back on the rack, and stood there for a moment.

All the little things about losing weight came together in one moment.  Fitting better into plane seats, buying clothes almost anywhere I want to, getting crazy strong, hiking far and fast, joining in on 5K races -all of it condensed into two 75 pound dumb bells.

Wow.

2 comments: