...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Champions and Crickets

I rarely post about work, but something is weighing on my mind today.

We had a welcome gathering for the new people.  For the first time at one of these events, the department heads had the opportunity to share successes of their downline staff.  Each department head had notice this was going to happen.

I went first (since I run these little gatherings!) and shared news about an employee who had gotten a recognition award and some other news.  One other person shared about various awards that had been won in their department.  The other five people sat there.

I heard crickets, so quickly moved on to the next thing.

Now, I knew there were a few other people at least, in a room of 40+ who must have done something worthy of public recognition.

After the party, one person came up to me and thanked me for my work on the gathering and shared how disappointed she was that no one else had anything they wanted to share.

She said, "The best leaders champion their people."

The best I can hope for is that next time we do this, the other department heads think it through a little bit and give it the old college try.

Because my colleague was correct.

The best leaders DO champion their people.

No comments:

Post a Comment