...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The HCG Diet -Good Idea?

This morning at the gym a couple of us got to chatting.  I asked her how her workout went, and as we talked she shared she has started the HCG diet.

I had not heard of this.  Honestly, I really don't pay attention much to the different diets out there.  I know Atkins, Mayo, Weight Watchers, and more recently, Paleo.  One of my staff tried Paleo even though we made fun of her and she eventually gave it up in frustration. 

I meet with a registered dietician who gives me advice that seems to work, so I'm happy.  There isn't a name for this diet, but I may make one up, like the: Eat Like A Normal Person Food Plan.

I guess, technically, it isn't a diet anyway.  It's eating food and trying to be purposeful with the choices.

ANYWAY, she shared she takes these HCG drops and restricts food to 500 calories A DAY!  A DAY!!

I think I may have actually gaped at her.  I feel abused if I can't eat 500 calories at one meal.  She shared that in two weeks she has lost 17 pounds and that it seems to be working.

I was really proud of myself.  I didn't pepper her with questions about water loss vs fat loss, and how too few calories starts to eat into muscle or anything.  You know, the heart is a muscle, right?

I nodded and shared that I've lost quite a bit of weight but that for me, working out was the key.  She said she can't lose weight just working out.

Not my place to question her decisions, but I decided to look up the HCG diet on the interweb and see what's up with that.

So, HCG is a pregnancy hormone that suppresses appetite in overweight people so they are more okay with only eating 500-800 calories every day.  It isn't actually available legally over the counter in the US, but seriously, if we can get crack cocaine, this stuff is obviously going to be easier to obtain.  And I'm sure there are some doctors out there who love money more than integrity who are happy to prescribe such things.

Every article I read said this diet is dangerous and does not work long term.  Every single article.

I got mad.

Seriously, this is preying on people's desperation and it ticks me off.  The WORST part is that since this cannot be sustained long term, when the person inevitably goes off the diet and crashes, they feel even worse about themselves and their supposed "lack of self discipline" involved in one's body revolting against starvation.  This leads them to more and more crazy diets, and the continuing spiral into self-hate.

So, please, if you are tempted to go on a crazy diet, take a moment to visit with someone who actually knows about food who can help you come up with a plan for your REAL LIFE that works for you.

There is no quick fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment