...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Friday, July 19, 2013

Darn Teeth!!

Darn teeth!  Always needing something -brushing, flossing, dental visits... and now, a redone root canal.

Horrors!

The moment of truth was yesterday.

Now, just so you know, the problem tooth did not actually hurt.  I only knew it was a problem because the dentist showed me x-rays that brandished a nice dark shadow hovering around what used to be the roots.

I showed up to the endodontist armed with my iPod, a lumbar pillow and lots of questions, starting with: "If it storms and the power goes out, do you have a backup generator??" (Yes, was the answer to that one. So, I stayed.)

So, there I was for two-and-a-half hours, laying there helpless, immobile, mouth wide open and it all started with a giant needle pushed into my gums.

Fortunately, I dissociate easily.

The endo was astonished that up to that point I had never felt any pain.  Apparently, the dentist who did the original root canal five years ago had left a bit of the root in.  That ought to have sent the pain meter through the roof right away, much less 5 years later with the tooth practically rotting out.

God is very good to me.  Especially since if He hadn't sent angels to whisper in my ears that I ought to go to the dentist after a 2 year hiatus, this would have gotten much much worse.  It was fixable, thank you, Jesus!

I tried to go straight to the pharmacy to get the painkillers and antibiotics filled right away. The pharmacy was closed for a lunch break (poor pharmacist only gets a half-hour lunch! Criminal!) so I headed home.

I figured I'd be fine with Tylenol and would try again the next day.  It didn't hurt really.

Then the numbing agents wore off.  At 7:30PM, as I was curled in the fetal position and praying for death, I realized I absolutely, positively had to go to the pharmacy before it closed and get the meds.  No choice. Had to.

I shoved shoes on my feet and a jacket over my pajamas (Not a normal look for me, but as a college town, not an unusual sight at all!) Accompanied by Roxy, I drove to Target.

Within 15 minutes of downing the hydrocodone, the pain blissfully eased, and I was able to sleep.  Sweet, sweet, sleep.

At work this morning, I astonished everyone by actually showing up and getting some work done!  The quality may be questionable, given my painless state, but hey, I'm here.  It's not like I have authority to sell the campus or anything.

Guess we will find out on Monday how well THAT went.


2 comments:

  1. I think I might have a similar problem brewing, but it is a crown on top of a weakened tooth. It was about two years ago, with the potential to be a root canal. Why didn't they just do that the first time?! I am scared...! I know you had a rough weekend, but I hope you are doing better!

    ReplyDelete