...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Monday, October 28, 2013

Okay, Seriously, I Mean It This Time!

My battle with refined sugar has taken on a greater intensity, mostly because I'm losing.  Okay, to be fair, I only spent one day in battle, then went belly-up and let it trample all over me.

Still, my tenacity is back and so back on my feet I climb for yet another round.

Apparently, refined sugar can be blamed for excess weight, lowered immunity, low energy, and possibly the struggling economy.  I want none of THAT!!

I'm not completely swearing off refined sugar.  I've gone cold turkey and that never lasts.  I'm on a perfectly sensible plan to wean off of it slowly.  My goals are modest by most standards, yet seem positively Herculean on some days.

My goal:  Get down to one serving per day of refined sugar.  "How hard can that be?" asks anyone who isn't me.

One serving feels like a teaser, frankly.  I have the ability (and tendency) to consume sugar in an amount that would stagger a horse.  My trainer is in awe. My nutritionist is in horror. (She never lets me see the horror full-out, just says, "You know, it might be good to cut back just a smidge and you might feel better and stop crying randomly when your blood sugar drops...")

My most recent excuses relate to adjusting to an emotional roller coaster.  Now that I have adjusted, I don't actually have an excuse for mainlining Reese's Sticks.  As an adult, I do not actually NEED an excuse.  I mean, I am fully self-supporting and if I can afford to eat immense quantities of candy, then that it my busines alone.

Still, once I put it out there that I am trying to reduce refined sugar intake, then I feel somehow obliged to actually make an effort.  And it would be good for me.  Frankly, if somebody said, "Hey, if you eat dead leaves and chewed up pinecones from the yard, you will boost your immunity!" I would at least give it a shot.

Step One:  not limiting AMOUNT, limiting WHEN... ie, only eat sweets as dessert, never on their own or as the main meal.

Step Two: Limiting amount to 2 servings/day, no make-ups.

Once I get there, I will let you know.  So far today, I'm on track!

No comments:

Post a Comment