...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Jar of Blessings

Okay, I'm going to cultivate a positive attitude, darn it!

At the beginning of the year, I had decided to focus on all the good things that happen to me, rather than the challenging things.  To that end, I stole an idea fair and square off Facebook, and annexed an unused cookie jar for the effort.

Every day, I would write down one good thing that had happened that day. At the end of the year, I would have a whole bunch of good things that had happened to remind me how awesome life really is.  I mean, it's all about the little things, really, isn't it?

Last night I noticed it sitting on my microwave. I see this jar every single day and have apparently managed to ignore it.  When I looked in it, I saw that I have not put in one single thing since March.  Funny enough, my attitude has been really awful since about then.

Yesterday saw a LOT of challenges.  I was very scheduled, had some big stuff going on, was really tired, got a few bits of disappointing news.  I crawled into bed early without even eating dinner.

Still, I had noticed the jar.

Like thinking through marshmallow goo, I tried to think of some good thing that happened yesterday. Just one. One!

And then I found my smile.

I had gone to breakfast with dear Lori, who is one of the most loving and caring REAL people I've ever met.  Just that bit of time gave me strength for the rest of the day.

I led a two-hour all-division meeting (about 80 people) that went extremely well.  I'm terrified of public speaking.  When I spoke with Katrina, my assistant, about that right before the meeting she looked shocked.  Then she said that made her feel better I had said that, because I always look so calm and cool, she thought I was a natural.  I assured her it is a learned skill, not a talent.  "Never let 'em see you sweat!" :-)  She said that made her feel like someday she will be good at that, too.

I had a fun happy hour with some colleagues who are nice to spend time with.


This morning, every song I heard, every word someone spoke to me before I got to work, had to do with being content in any given circumstance.

Any. Given. Circumstance.

Line from a song: 
And where would I be without You, without You
I'd be packing my bags when I need to stay
I'd be chasing every breeze that blows my way...

Phil 4:11 ... I have learned to be content in all circumstances...

And I suppose that is where my smile will always be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment