...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Monday, June 10, 2013

Listen to the Mustn'ts

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”  -Shel Silverstein

I had a dream about eight years ago that I still remember so clearly, I know it was a prophetic dream.  Immediately upon waking, I whispered, out loud, "Lord, help me prepare for the battle to come."  When I thought about that statement later, and got over how melodramatic it seemed (because at the time I said it, it was the exact right thing to say!) I still didn't know what it all meant. I didn't know my biggest battles would be in my heart and my head.

Ever since a friend, as she henna'd my arms with flowers, said, "Those are lotuses.  They symbolize beauty that grows from dark places" I have been drawn to them. It's true, you know.  The seeds germinate in dark swampy water and only bloom when their long stems reach light and air.

That's like people.  As long as we keep pointed toward the light, we will outgrow the murky water over our heads, eventually blooming into the person God created us to be.  With all the voices, inside and out, calling out Don't and Mustn't and Impossible and Shouldn't, it takes a lot of effort to believe sometimes.  It takes determination to believe we are WORTH THE EFFORT.  Sometimes, especially when that still small voice calls us toward a light we can't even see, we must be helped in our unbelief.  We stand only because someone else is holding us up.

In faith, all that darkness turns out something  like this:




Some lotuses grow so big and strong, people can actually stand on the leaves.  Then those flowers that sometimes lost faith that the sun would ever shine on them become the ground someone else can stand on.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment