...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Monday, June 3, 2013

Super Model and a Really Long Walk!

Saturday was the perfect day to run around Flagstaff pretending to be a supermodel.  My friend Stephanie is a photographer, and she offered to take pictures of me, since I don't actually have many of myself.

We went all over town, me hobbling on 6-inch stiletto heels and carrying the tripod.  We took pictures of each other, but I suspect the ones she took of me turned out better.  I don't know because she hasn't let me see them.

This is how I started the day:


This is my fav pic:



By the time we got to Sedona, we were really hot and tired, so none of those turned out very well.

The next day was my scheduled Long Hike.  Well, long for me.  We got a late start, it was terribly windy and the air quality was very, very poor.  Still, I intended to walk 6 miles, and I was by golly going to walk 6 miles.  I'm building up my endurance for taking a REALLY long hike in the fall in Spain.  I want to be able to walk 15 miles without dying by mid-September.

The sun was directly overhead for most of the hike.  Even with sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses, I still came home with a burn.  Roxy kept up gamely as long as we stopped whenever there was a wee bit of shade.  It was actually freakin miserable.

Fairly close to the end, Roxy just stopped, right there in the bright sun, middle of the trail.  She was done.  Water wouldn't make her move.  She turned away from treats.

Only one thing to do.  Thanking God that Roxy only weighs about 20 lbs, I picked her up and carried her. As miserable as I was, she was much worse off.  We cut the hike short.

When we got home, both of us hot, sweaty and wiped out, Roxy took a few sips of water and bites of food, then crawled under the bed and stayed there for about 6 hours.  I drank some water, turned on the fan, crawled into bed and fell asleep.  I thought to myself that I ought to eat something, but the mere thought made me slightly ill.

After I woke up, it took a couple hours for me to feel like eating again, and then I felt RAVENOUS!  Fortunately, my friend Annette was free for dinner, so we hopped over to the Lumberyard where I ate pretty much all the food in the whole place.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a fantastic weekend! You look gorgeous in your favorite photo! It really shows "you" off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo shoot results, but I am also Team Hello Kitty/cammo :)

    ReplyDelete