...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Liquor is Quicker

The old saying:

Candy is Dandy but
Liquor is Quicker
-Ogden Nash

is actually about getting a person into bed, so it is shocking they stuck that into the Willy Wonka movie. Darn insidious rhymes.

Anyway, I gave up sweets for Lent.  This lasted for three weeks and two days until stress and sleeplessness got the best of me, and I ate, like, all the doughnuts. In. The. World.  Then proceeded to turn to candy.  Then the baked goods began to disappear from store shelves.

Yes, my dear children, Auntie AmyAnne is a sugar addict.

There are no 12 step programs for this.  In a real sense, what harm does it really do?  I mean, it isn't heroin or anything.  I'm functional to drive, hold down a job, be nice to people, perform daily activities without impairment.

I just feel so uncomfortable with the real knowledge that when the going gets tough, I knee-jerk turn not to God or my friends or my painstakingly-cultivated healthy habits... but to sugar.  And the sugar is consumed until it is gone or I'm too physically sick to continue. (Then start up again once the queasy feeling passes.)  And of course, the spiral just keeps going since sugar only makes you feel better/numb/nothing for about 5 minutes.

I do not pretend to be unique.  I'm just wondering (which, when I am in the middle of it seems to be the worst time to try to figure it out!) if it is even worth the struggle?

I'll answer that once I'm done with the peanut butter cups!

No comments:

Post a Comment