...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Thursday, April 24, 2014

So Not Fair

"Fair" is a strongly held value for me.  I dunno if it is because I was raised a middle child or have a deep sense of justice or simply like things being all even and orderly.

I once whined to a friend about some sort of small injustice I was experiencing and he said, "What's fair anyway?  Is it fair that children die of hunger?"

I looked at him flatly and said, "No. And I intend to talk to God about that one, too."

So, while the last few days I have been focusing on all the ways life has been Not Fair to me in these ways:

Caught between two people in an ethical situation;
Various difficulties at work;
No time to do things like get my car fixed (minor problem); and
Restricted resources...

it is always in the back of mind my about the other ways life is Not Fair to me:

Meaningful, well-paying work;
Healthy body;
Mostly working brain;
Resources such that all my needs are met, and a great many of my "wants";
Wonderful friends who have my back, and really would let me live in their basements;
A boyfriend who loves me beyond all reason and leaves funny voicemails to crack me up;
Working transportation; and
really too many things to list.

It doesn't even out all nice and orderly.  I am beyond blessed, and need to remind myself of that.

This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment