...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Seeing Takes Time

To see takes time, like having a friend takes time -Georgia O'Keefe

I fell in love with Georgia's work over 20 years ago, haunting the halls of the Chicago Art Institute, which has the largest collection of her work in the world.  My favorite among all my favorites is Blue and Green Music.  I want to sing and cry all at once when I am in its presence.

One time I was privileged to have a good chunk of free time and sat in front of the Chagall Centennial window for two hours straight... I wanted to sit there and just look at it until I didn't see anything new.  That took two hours.

My friend Tammy came to visit me at my hotel in STL last week, sporting pizza and salad and drinks (the salad we left pretty much untouched.)  She is a newlywed and she shared some advice that the presider at her wedding told them:  Every single day, stop and take a good look at your spouse.  Life gets busy and too often it is easy to go days without really SEEING them and seeing how they are doing.

Since she shared that with me, I have realized how true that can be. I have so many constant distractions -my cell phone, my to-do list, my own thoughts.

This past weekend I went to visit someone I care about deeply.  The greatest gift I gave to "us" was turning off my cell phone.  I wanted all of me to be THERE in the moment, grateful and happy.

The weekend was one of the best ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment