...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Compassion Project

This cool project was started about compassion... In an harmonized action, 1000 bloggers will spread the good news of compassion across the globe on Feb 20.

What does compassion mean to you?

When I was in law school, I ran out of money and had to make some hard decisions.  I decided to let my car insurance go.  When I went to the agent, who I didn't know from anyone, to let him know I was canceling my insurance, he asked why, and I was honest.  He took a long look at me and said, "if my daughter ran into trouble and couldn't come to me, for whatever reason, I would hope that someone would help her" and he covered my insurance for six months.  

Although I eventually paid him back, that act of kindness gave me hope that I would get through the hard times, and inspired me more times in my life than he likely ever intended.

I want to be like that insurance agent.  If he judged me for poor financial acumen, he never let on.  He saw a need he could help with, a virtual stranger, and he did.

I want to have that big of a heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment