...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Sunday, January 18, 2015

These Weirdos Are My Tribe

“When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of ‘me too!’ be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.”

That quote has been attributed to so many people, I have no idea of the source.

Whoever this person is, I want to meet him or her.  This is true wisdom.

One of the things I love about the members of my tribe is that they are all so different. Artists, writers, photographers, musicians, poets, preachers, athletes and so so many more, all masquerading as stay at home moms, corporate managers, cogs in The Machine... But we know better.  "Preparing a face to meet the faces that you meet..." is the reality of today's world.

But with our tribe we can be who we really are, and keep testing our limits to our identity.  I want to try to be an athlete... and there they are, cheering me on.  I want to be a writer... "You already are!" they grin at me.  When I'm whispering, "I think I can?" they are shouting, "We know you can! We will plan the party to celebrate your success!"

And when the inevitable fall-on-my-face occurs... many hands are reaching for me, setting me upright, brushing away my tears and assuring me the lessons I learned will help in the next attempt.

To name all the members of my tribe and their adorable attributes would take a year of blogging, but to the people I love, who love me, pray with me and for me, dance with me, sing with me, take long walks with me, call me, text me, lift heavy weights with me, travel with me, and face this crazy world with your hands entwined with mine... Thank you.

I love you.  I am grateful for you.  Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment