...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

30 Minutes of Self-Control

Well, it happened again... I got home last night tired, hungry, Roxy barking in that tone that can bend metal as I walked in the door... and I started scarfing cookies.

I had the very best of good intentions.  I hadn't thought at all about what I was going to eat for dinner, but I have loads of healthy and tasty options.  I knew I would get home and figure it out.

But the cookies were there.  Right there.  No prep needed.

Over the course of the evening, they disappeared as they are wont to do on such evenings.  This is hardly the first time this has happened.

A couple/few hours later I got around to microwaving some home-made stew I keep on hand.  Hardly got that down, as I had filled up on those cookies.

When I plan ahead, this rarely happens.  Planning ahead is SUCH a pain, however.

So, last night (feeling slightly ill from the sugar OD) I pondered, okay, this is getting a bit out of hand.  What can I do to at least make an EFFORT to prevent this?

I figure the first 30 minutes when I get home is crucial to my success.  Before getting home, if I haven't written my food plan for the evening (yes, I know I am supposed to do that, but life happens!) I am going to try to think through what I have on hand and what I will choose.

Not keeping anything foodlike on the counters or in line of sight (ie, put them in the pantry or a cabinet) will keep me from mindlessly reaching for such things.

Then for thirty minutes, keeping my desire to eat anything and everything under control while I prep whatever was in my head before I walked in the door.

I think I can do this.  It is only 30 minutes, you know?

It isn't eating the cookies that bothers me -it is the mindlessness that accompanied it.  A couple cookies for dessert is a lovely thing.  A couple dozen masquerading as dinner, not a happy feeling.

Planning ahead is a good and happy thing.

1 comment:

  1. EXACTLY. It is only 30 minutes. Or in my case, FIVE. If I could just have the self control to write down what I have eaten during the day BEFORE I scarf down dinner, and forget everything; life for me would be much different. I know, I have done it before.

    ReplyDelete