...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Friday, February 15, 2013

Two Old Guys at the Track

So my Valentine's dates last night were two old guys.  We had a date to go to the track meet so they could explain how track and field works, since I have not a clue.

One gentleman, we shall call him Harris, is a person I know through work.  I met "Fred" last night because he and Harris have been friends lo these past 20 years, and both are avid track and field fans.

I spent the evening laughing so hard my abs hurt.  Turns out Fred used to be a referee or judge or whatever you call people who determine the winners of races, so he was full of knowledge he was just waiting to lay down on a young lady's ears! (Young, of course, is a matter of perspective.  When you are 87 years old, everyone must seem young!)

Harris inquired as to how my 5k in Sedona went, and asked me my time.  I shared it and said, well, it wasn't great, and Fred interrupted and said, "That is fantastic!  Did you finish???  Then you did good, girl!!"

Then he added, "Really, you aren't built for distance running, anyway.  Gotta be compact for that.  If you were on my team, I'd put you in shot put or javelin.  I bet you're really strong, aren't you?"  I nodded modestly. He got even more enthusiastic, "See, that's it -look at those girls doing shot put!  Big, strong girls!  That's 12 pounds they are throwing!  Gotta be strong for that!  The distance runners can't do shot put.  Go with your strengths!!"

They took turns talking about the runners and the coaches and what to look for and how things are measured.  I learned so much from them!  Harris was concerned I might be hungry and kept offering me apples.  They took very good care of me!

I was amazed watching these student athletes shine at their sport!  The hurdles especially -but also the high jump, pole vault, oh, everything was fascinating.  I got to see one of our Olympians, Diego Estrada, run the 5K in 13:37, placing him second to our whole country's best-ever record. (also, btw, over three times faster than me!!)

As Fred tried to convince me I ought to start thinking about competing in weightlifting, and I assured him that is a process that would play far too well into my talent for making myself crazy, I had to admit, I wondered how far I'd be able to throw 12 pounds.

Hmmmm...

This was possibly my best Valentine's day ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment