...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Not a Shamrock Shake!

In a bow to proper nutrition, I decided to join the legions of people who smash up crazy stuff in a blender and call it breakfast.  Apparently, kale is a miracle food, right up there with Ambrosia, and so perhaps proper nutrition will give me the energy boost I am craving.

I was resistant.  I resisted protein shakes at first, too, but those turned out to be tasty enough and good for me, so now I'm a convert.  Maybe the crazy green shakes will be, too?  I invested in a blender to find out.

It takes some experimentation to get something edible if you include kale.  Now, kale is a perfectly tasty vegetable, but I'm personally not jonesing for strong-tasting greens first thing in the morning.

Still, I'm always game for an experiment.  I also decided that for two days I would eat crazy healthy, just to see what would happen.  At one point, I thought, hmm, cookies would be tasty, and then easily eschewed them for the sake of science.  I did not want to mess up my experiment.

So, let me tell you, the green shakes look like a delicious chemical-laden mint shake from a famous fast food place... and smell like a lawn.

I put in Chobani Greek yogurt, banana, blueberries, coconut water, spinach and kale.  And cinnamon, because cinnamon is awesome.  On the advice of my trainer, this morning I added protein powder.  Since my only protein powder is chocolate, the shakes are now the color of evil.  But, chocolate is a welcome addition to anything, so it greatly improved the taste.

I've been blessed with lots of suggestions for shake recipes from the advocates, so I have a lot to play with.

It has been a fairly easy adjustment.  It takes longer to drink one of these shakes, due to texture, than it does to gulp down yogurt or eggs, so I have to account for that in the morning.  I walk around the house getting ready, shake in hand, Roxy eying it enviously, as she does anything not placed in her food bowl.  She is also color-blind, being a dog and all.  Since it is completely grain-free, I could totally give her some.  Maybe I will tomorrow morning, just to see what happens.

I've become assiduous about brushing my teeth, to avoid seeing green specks stuck in unattractive places.

I actually avoided napping for the first time in weeks this past Saturday and Sunday, so maybe there is something to this nutrition thing.

1 comment:

  1. Try Kale+Spinach 35% + Almond milk 35% + 30% blueberries + strawberries + bananas... add in some crushed almonds..:) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete