...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Recurring Nightmare Turned Around

Okay, I have a couple recurring nightmares. I haven't had either of them in a long time, until last night. Only it was different.

So, normally, I'm in a house with three stories and a basement, and it is very dark and old and dilapidated. I live there, and in a few rooms lives this sort of creature, sort of like Golem from LOTR. He also lives in the walls and does scary creepy things. I can go into different rooms, but I can't leave the house, which is on a dark stormy island anyway. I usually wake up when something particularly horrible happens.

Last night, in the dream, I didn't live there any more, but I was returning to the house with a friend, and it had been made into a bed and breakfast, and there were a lot of people staying there. My friend who was with me and I weren't sure if we were going to stay, but I wanted to go in and see all the changes the new owners had done with the renovations.

The inside was gorgeous, all the old marble and windows and finishings cleaned up, floors replaced, everything fresh and new. As we wandered through, I told some people about the creature and how he lived in certain rooms and in the walls. They wanted to see him, too, so we walked all over the house and all the old secret doors had been removed and the passages were gone. I told them all about the house, and they asked if the new owners bought it from me. I said, no, I just left it. They took over a lot later.

We ended up in the attic, which was now quite lovely with all sorts of girly appointments and floral wallpaper, old fashioned but quite pretty. The owners came up and asked what we were doing, and I said we were looking for the creature. They said they had never seen him. I was a bit confused because, really, I KNEW the creature had lived in the walls and would never, ever go away. My friend wanted to spend the night, but I knew if we did, he would sneak up on us while we were sleeping.

Then someone else said, "oh, he moved away, he couldn't find anything to eat once we started cleaning up the place. If you want to see him, we just have to lay the food out and he'll come back." So in the dream I said, "it is too strange that he isn't here. I want to see him." So they start to gather food and then one turns to me and says, "you know, even if he comes back, he won't stay unless you keep feeding him. Do you really want to see him?"

So, I thought about that, and decided that I didn't really need to see him. Then there was this bubble in the middle of the room, and the creature was in the bubble, and looked completely different, not scary at all, and said, "fine, I'll go away for always." and thenjust left.

My friend and I decided to not spend the night because it wasn't my house any more, and the ship was waiting at the dock for us anyway. So we left. And I woke up.

That was pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment