...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Friday, August 16, 2013

Motivation and Exhaustion

Well. Life. So.

Patience is not my strong suit.  Apparently God wants me to gain this skill.  He is giving me lots of opportunities to get practice.

I am one of those fools who REALLY BELIEVES that if you work hard, you see the results.  Figure out the formula, and you will find the solution.  Consistency is key.

Projects requiring long term consistency are not my strong suit.  Powering through a few sleepless nights to get something done on a deadline is where I shine.

Small daily decisions are the key to ultimate success.  The hardest decisions for me to make at the time they must be made are:

1.  Exercising when that means getting up before dawn
2. Choosing healthy food when I'm tired or emotional or feel overwhelmed
3. Pushing myself to go a bit farther, pick up a bit more weight, do one more rep, when I haven't seen results in a long time and are doubting that any will ever happen no matter what I do
4. Planning ahead for good food, time to exercise, etc., when my personality tends to prefer spontaneity.

Motivation is such a slippery little thing.  It is very motivating when you are seeing results, feeling great, energy is coursing through your veins.

But when you are exhausted, recovering from an injury or illness, overwhelmed by your daily tasks, and/or haven't seen anything that has felt like success in too long, what is it that really motivates you?

For me, right now, it is faith.

Walking by faith, not by sight.

Walking this strange, unlit path God has set out for me.

Taking the next step, making the decision in front of me, sometimes making good choices, sometimes not, always relying on mercy.




No comments:

Post a Comment