...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Side FX

I'm no big fan of pills.  Heck, even for basic nutrition, I prefer to get it from food as opposed to supplements.

So, as I lay dying (I felt) for two weeks, and was on a host of different meds to deal with whatever this problem was (infection morphing to God Knows What sort of dizzy/fainting spells) I kept thinking, "I am too young and too healthy to be taking all these pills!"  Beyond depression, I was frankly suicidal.

Once I was coherent enough to string words together, I pulled all my meds together and started doing some research. What I found frankly astonished me.

Not one med was contra-indicated for another.  Okay, Good first step.  Then I started compiling a list of side effects.

THREE of the meds (two I normally take plus one of the extras for my special week!)) indicated dizziness and possible fainting as a side effect.  Okay I sort of expected that.  I knew whatever this thing was, it was outside myself.

The one that astonished me was the Montelukast (Singulair for those who watch TV!)  I have asthma which is greatly exacerbated by living at 7,000 ft.  When I go to coastal cities, I do not need so much as my rescue inhaler.  Here, I take three meds to deal with the breathing, and I'm not convinced the Singulair helps.

As many of you know, I struggle with depression and occasional suicidal thoughts.  This past year saw no fewer than four separate episodes of suicidal ideation.  That is a record.  I haven't had even one serious episode for at least a decade or more before this past year.  I went on anti-depressants in February to deal with this, and then had to "up" my ADHD meds again and again to deal with the side effects of the anti-depressants.  I chalked all this up to emotional heavy lifting.

Until I saw that Singulair lists as a side effect depression and suicidal thoughts.

Well, F$%& me.

I started taking Singulair about a year ago.  The depression and spiraling dark thoughts started deepening about a month later.

What if all the torture of this past year wasn't some irreparable place inside me, but a "mere" side effect of a medication?

What if, by stopping one medication, I can stop one other, and greatly reduce the need for a third?

So, I stopped taking the Singulair.  I have been off the meds for the infection for about a week now.  I can't just stop taking the anti-depressant because it can cause a boomerang effect, but fortunately I am meeting with my doctor in a couple days to discuss this with her.  I stopped the ADHD meds (ADHD is really harder on those around me than me, anyway) just to see what will happen.

I shall keep you apprised as events unfold.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! My daughter stopped taking all meds a few years ago. She got tired of the side effects of her ADHD meds and her anti-depression meds (why are suicidal thoughts a side-effect for anti-depression meds...?) She also has asthma, and deals. Oh, and insomnia and sleep shift phase disorder (NOT fun when you hit that part in puberty where you're gonna shift your sleep phase, anyway!)

    I know she takes, erm... "herbal" medication to deal with the sleep issues, at least. Honestly, she's been much better since she started to think of it as a medication instead of a recreational drug. I'm still on her about using it and make sure she knows I disapprove, but I'm really glad she isn't a walking pharmacy ad anymore.

    ReplyDelete