...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Near Occasions Of Sin

Nothing like dramatic license, right?

Anyway, the best way I've found to stick to food plans and performing exercise plans is to add a simple tool to the toolbox: avoiding temptation.

As Catholics, we call this avoiding near occasions of sin.  For example, if you struggle with sleeping around, stop going to hook-up bars.  If you struggle with lying, take moment to think through what you are about to say and acknowledge to yourself it is untruth then either shut up or tell the truth.  If you struggle with impure-thoughts-leading-to-impure-actions -well, no one's come up with a good resolution to that.  St. Paul just told us to all get married.  Thanks for nothing, dude.

So, I have FB "liked" various restaurants and bakeries I enjoy.  So, every day, I am treated to pictures of delicious, devourable treats.  I have friends who post Pinterest pics of delicious, heavy food.  I look at these while drinking my delicious green shake.  While the sanctimonious feeling is somewhat sustaining, it pales in comparison to the thought of peanut butter brownies topped with marshmallow goo.

Oh, yeah.

I'm being relatively successful weaning myself off the mac-n-cheese-and-pudding-cup diet I was on while ill. 

Still. Brownies. Dang.  Because I LOVE my friends, I do not repost or share temptations.  (I also do not post, share, or "like" any motivational memes that only show body parts instead of the whole person.  My own personal war against objectification of humans.)

So, I grab at any straw to stay on the wagon, and today a friend posted a really delicious looking healthy recipe.

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/entrees/beef/sweet-potato-breakfast-skillet/

Since it has all my fav things, I am going to try it.  Probably not better than impure-thoughts-leading-to-impure-actions, but likely to be tasty AND fulfill my needs to feel superior.

No comments:

Post a Comment