...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Christmas Story

Just a present!  Merry Christmas!




I prefer to work on Christmas Day.  The phones are utterly silent.  There is no one else there.  Since I rarely-to-never have holiday plans, it seems like a nice time to be leisurely about getting a few things done I normally put off for these quiet days.  My dog, Roxy, comes with me, and we take a lot of breaks to let her play in the snow.

This last Christmas was no exception.  I smiled to myself as I let myself in, coded in the alarm and headed up the steps.  Pure, blissful silence.

Once I let Roxy off her leash for her to run freely, she took off flying up the steps.  I followed rather more slowly.  Suddenly, I heard something that made my heart stop.  Someone was talking to Roxy.  I did not recognize the voice.

I peeked around the corner to see a figure hunched over my dog, who had flopped on her back and was accepting a good belly rub from this stranger.

I was Very Aware that I was alone in an old building -no one within shouting distance and probably not a single soul within a half mile, actually.  As I assessed the situation, it seemed that he was rather thin, dressed in several layers against the cold, and obviously fond of animals.

I stepped out from behind the corner.  Quietly and in my friendliest voice, I said, "Hello. This is a surprise.  Can I help you?"

He must have realized a small fluffy dog would soon be followed by its owner, because he simply smiled and said, "Hello!  Merry Christmas!" like he had a perfect right to be standing in the lobby of my office.

"Merry Christmas," I responded, a bit of caution creeping into my voice.  "I'm Amy.  What's your name?"  (In such situations, it is best to gather evidence in case something goes horribly awry.)

"I'm Joe," his eyes crinkled with his smile.  "This is Roxy, right?"

"Yes," I was puzzled until I realized she has a name tag he obviously paid attention to.

We stood there for a minute, me wondering what to do and a million thoughts whirling through my head, him just squatting there, scratching Roxy's belly and grinning at me.  Roxy is so not picky about her friends.

My mind finally settled on one thing, "Joe, I'm sorry, but you just can't stay here."

He nodded ruefully and said, "I figured you'd say that" and simply did not move.

Well. Crud. Now what?

"Soooo..." I started slowly, "I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

He nodded, and still just scratched Roxy while I wondered if campus police worked on Christmas Day.

Out of patience, I snapped, "Okay, Joe, please leave now. I know it is cold outside, but you have to go.  How did you get in in the first place?"

He shrugged, Roxy pawing at him when he paused in his attention to her, "Angels?  Why are you here on Christmas Day?  Escaping relatives?"

I certainly was not going to discuss my family status with a stranger, so I simply stood there and stared at him, arms crossed, trying to look all authoritarian.  My eyes lit on his small pack of God-Knows-What laying next to the sofa, a few coarse blankets draped on it.  I guessed he had probably been here for a few days. 

He grinned again at my glare, "Okay, fine, touchy subject.  Still I'd think you'd have a better place to be on Christmas Day."

"You have a lot of opinions for someone sleeping in a closed office building," I growled and immediately regretted it.  Being reactive has never solved anything.

Joe grinned again and said, "Well, that's probably true.  But Merry Christmas, anyway!" and took something from his pocket and held it out for me.

Curious, I drew nearer and carefully took it out of his hands.  It was a tiny carved wood Nativity scene.  I recognized it as olive wood because my BFF had been working in Tel Aviv a few years ago and gave me a pair of olive wood candlesticks she picked up at a bazaar there.

"Where did you get this?" I asked more quietly.  The work was so beautiful -and warm from being in his pocket.

Joe smiled and shrugged, "I have a lot of time on my hands right now. It didn't take long."

"You MADE this?" I was all astonishment. "Where did you find the wood?  That's olive, right?"

He shrugged again, grinning that I was so pleased, "It seems appropriate, given the subject."

A pregnant pause later, he added, "You know, right before Jesus was born, you have to imagine that Mary and Joseph probably felt pretty alone, too.  I mean, its not like the Wise Men or shepherds or anyone showed up beforehand to help out."

I laughed, a little cynically, I admit, "Hey, at least they had each other! And a donkey!"

He laughed, "I suppose that is true.  And you know, God was there.  And when the baby came, everything had to change, everywhere."

I just nodded.  I mean, what can you say after a statement like that?

Joe looked rather thoughtful, "It seems to me, there are a lot of people who have no choice but to be alone today... but you choose to be here, and you don't have to be."

"It's less complicated." It was my turn to shrug but he just roared with laughter.  I felt rather put out, actually.

"Child of Grace, I can just imagine.  It's always easier to just stay away!  But you know, today, second only to Easter, is a day to be about being present to others!" he just shook his head and smiled at me affectionately.

I could not help but smile back.

I held out the Nativity scene, still warm in the palm of my hand, "This is beautiful -I can't take it, it's too much of a treasure.  But thank you for being kind."

Joe shook his head, "It's yours.  I made it for you.  Just remember that even when you feel completely alone, its just a feeling.  You are never alone, and you are more of a treasure than you can ever imagine."

Just then, Roxy barked, lept out from under his hand and shot toward the staircase.  Startled, I turned to chase her, then whipped my head back to see if Joe was okay.

He was gone.  The blankets, the pack, all gone.

Roxy trotted back to me, obviously pleased with herself.

I sat right down there on the lobby floor.

"Hello?" I whispered, my eyes wide open and looking everywhere.

Roxy crawled into my lap and nudged me to pick up where Joe had left off.

I held the small wooden carving up to my cheek, feeling its warmth.

Then I walked outside with Roxy, got in my car and called my dad as I drove home.

The little wooden Nativity scene still sits on my desk.  And it is still warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment