...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Unexpected Delight

I try to embrace the surreal in life.  I kind of enjoy that odd people come up and talk to me for no particular reason.  Sometimes it is just strange, and sometimes it is strange and beautiful (like the guy on the beach in San Diego who told me I sparkle, and he wanted me to know that in case no one had ever told me!  Or the woman who approached me at Scottsdale Fashion Square to tell me I had a bright blue aura and that I just glow... etc. ) That stuff happens all the time to me, and I like it.

I like when you come across unexpected beauty.  Like in my pic above, the graffiti butterflies. (I do so love street art!)  Or you happen across a flash mob.

One of my favorite surreal things is the I-17 Christmas Tree.  From all the research I've done, whoever does this every single year has kept their secrets well.  It just shows up to my great delight.


This isn't a great picture, as the sun was not cooperating in its placement in the sky, and I had to dodge semis to get a good pic at all... but there it is.  Alone on a desolate stretch of desert highway, its only purpose to bring a smile to strangers' faces.

A reminder that someone loves us all.  A reminder that sometimes all something has to do is exist in order to bring happiness.

A small place of unexpected beauty and delight.

1 comment:

  1. I love this little tree. I saw a news report about it a some time ago, and it was almost destroyed by wildfires...but it survived! It is so nice to encounter something so joyful, and the kindness of others!

    ReplyDelete