...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Shout Out to My Trainer

It's weird how you have different aspects of your personality show at different times.  At work, I am described as calm, level headed, a soothing presence, the person who encourages others.

I really doubt Jesse-the-Trainer ever actually gets to see that side of me.  I count on him for all those things, and he always comes through.

I'm thinking a lot lately about the blessings in my life, and he really is one of the biggest blessings of the last two years.  This last weekend, he ran his first-ever long race, and it was a 50K, and he came in 12th out of 73.  I'm really proud of him, not because he did so well, but because parts of it sucked eggs, and he finished anyway, and did his absolute best.

I think that might be why he is such a good trainer.  He gets that sometimes, pushing yourself physically and mentally is absolutely horrible.  Sometimes you have to dig deep into some well inside you you did not even know existed to find the strength to tackle what is in front of you -especially when you could so easily just stop, and everyone would understand and no one would judge you, and probably half the people aren't sure why you are doing it in the first place, including yourself.  And every time you face such things, in life or in the gym or on the trail, you are the only who can decide whether to "call it" or keep going.

He has been such an example of patience and kindness and simple acceptance these past almost-two-years that he has taught me a lot about those things, especially when applying it to myself and my given circumstances.  He reminds me when I am frustrated or feeling defeated to look to Christ and remember Love.  And to breathe.  Breathing is important.

His web site needs some updating: http://www.newrootspersonaltraining.com/New_Roots_Personal_Training/Welcome.html 

But that's him.  And he is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment