...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Christmas is Coming!

We've been subjected to the the exclamation Christmas is Coming since mid-July, it seems. I love Christmas, and one of the joys of being a single adult of independent means is that I get to celebrate it however I like.

Since it is my policy to never celebrate Christmas with relatives, pretty much everything gift-related has been handled, and me, being me, cannot WAIT to open a gift until the actual day of Christmas, so my actual Christmas Day has nothing whatsoever to do with gifting. I rather like that.

I choose the Mass I go to, sometimes going to more than one because midnight Mass is soo beautiful, and the Children's Mass is so darn cute, baby angels and a wee Joseph who goes on walkabout.

Generally, I'll pop into a friend's holiday feast. Someone once remarked that having friends as well as relatives at their holiday dinner encouraged everyone to be on good behavior, as few families will air out petty grievances in front of strangers. So everyone is having a good time, and I'm contributing to the general happiness just by being there. When I weary of people, I get to leave!

I'm looking forward to having Two Whole Weeks off work. I am weary and bit burned out from work and just need some rest, some time to do my own thing and think my own thoughts.

For once, I am jealously guarding my "down time" and making very few commitments. This is difficult for me, but I keep reminding myself, the point of this time is to reboot, to get back in touch with what really matters, to regain proper perspective.

Which is kind of the whole point of Christmas, really, anyway. Our Savior came to this world so that we might have life, and have it more abundantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment