...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Trapped!

Expecting to shovel snow this morning, I got out of bed early, chugged some coffee and headed to the driveway.  Roxy reluctantly followed me, staying in the garage and then being careful to stick to the shoveled parts.  I knew she wouldn't wander far in the snow, but as a precaution any time there is a chance a stray cat might appear, I hooked her onto the long yellow lead.  I did not attach the other end to anything, since its sole purpose is to give me a chance to catch her when she decides to make a break for it.

As I shovelled the walkway to my door, I lost track of her a moment, then realized she had wandered into the neighbor's yard.  As I went to fetch her (she had apparently forgotten her name in the wonderment of the snow!) she dashed under their porch.  I grabbed the lead and tried to pull her out, but by that point the Damn Dog had burrowed under the f'ing house and wrapped the lead around a pipe.

Well, Hmmm.

As I prayedprayedprayed the homeowner would not wake up to the sound of some human scrambling around under his house, I crawled under, swearing under my breath, while Roxy glared at me, communicating this was all MY fault, since if she had not been on a lead to begin with, we would not be in this mess!

I heard, from my quiet spot nestled below his home, his three big dogs starting to bark and whine.  I heard a sleepy, very, very grumpy voice yell out for the dogs to shut up.  Roxy and I both froze, me imagining how to explain why I was under the house and BTW how come I never shovel the sidewalk??  Roxy was probably wondering if they had anything edible.

After we were safely back in our own yard, I looked over and realized there was absolutely no way to hide what had happened... once the sun comes up, tracks, dug out snow, and the obvious path from my house to UNDER HIS HOUSE will be shining for the whole world to see.

I just wish with all my heart, this hadn't been the home of the neighbor I dated a few times.

I shall await the call from the detectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment