...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Fun. Remember fun?

So, one of the things that hit me as I pondered 2012 in the rear view mirror, is that I didn't have a lot of fun.  I actually place quite a high value on fun, so that kind of surprised me.  I went on some awfully cool trips -to Louisiana to see my friend Dee, to MN to visit my family, to San Francisco, Chicago, and LA and Portland and Salt Lake City and New York and I'm sure other places I'm forgetting about.  Yuma! Went to Yuma.

Anyway, it turned out that when I was actually in Flagstaff, I didn't go out much. I didn't do any of the things I love to do, other than attending dance class.  I worked, worked out, went to an occasional lunch or dinner with friends, went to a rare movie or two.  That was pretty much it.  Wait!  I did go to a few sporting events for my university.  Mostly alone.

There are LOTS of things I love to do -live music of any kind, dancing, movies, hanging out with friends, seeing real art, hiking in pretty places, sewing, reading, making art. Writing.  And really, if it involves being around my friends, I will like practically anything.

So this year I decided it was time to get out of my rut of holing up in my house when I am home.  Even if I don't have anyone to go with, I am getting out of the house more.

This past weekend, I got a ticket on the spur of the moment to see a classical guitar concert.  It was wonderful.  It turned out a few people I know were there, and I got to hang out with friends afterwards at a local restaurant.

I spontaneously met another friend for a happy hour and mentioned there is a cello concert in a couple weeks I want to see -and it turned out she did too!  Then we asked a couple other people, and now a group of five of us are going to see the Portland Cello Project. 

This Saturday is my first 5K "run." I'm excited and nervous and worried and happy, all at once.  Since I'm doing it with friends, I know it, too, will be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment