...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Monday, January 7, 2013

Zen and Lunacy

This morning at the gym I noticed a man on a treadmill directly across from me.  He didn't look particularly distinct except for one thing... he made running look effortless.

He was there when I arrived and finished before me.  I hope he didn't realize I was noticing him, because it is kind of rude to watch people as they work out, but I just couldn't help it.

I'm not sure "effortless" is the right word -he was certainly putting in effort.  Rather, he just looked completely relaxed, completely in the moment, peaceful, not gritting his teeth or killing himself in a no-pain-no-gain manner we often succumb to.  He looked like he actually just enjoyed the process of running.

I found him fascinating.  I promptly labelled him "Zen Man."

Part of the reading for Mass today is Matthew 4:24... His (Jesus) fame spread to all of Syria, and they brought to him all who were sick with various diseases and racked with pain, those who were possessed, lunatics, and paralytics, and he cured them. 

I think one of the things that makes me fond -affectionate even- of Jesus is that although he always points people toward the kingdom of Heaven, he took care of people right there in front of him.  He gave people back their lives here on earth -such people as the above could hardly have supported themselves in any dignified manner, much less got a whole lot of actual enjoyment out of life.  Jesus addressed the problems of the moment to relieve the suffering of those around him.

Living in the present moment isn't just for people who proclaim Buddhism.  Jesus in various ways tried to tell us all the same thing -don't worry about what you are going to eat or drink or wear, God will provide, will cure, will direct, will save.

Speaking as one whose mind is always on something besides what is right in front of her, I find this kind of trust appealingly impossible.  This level of trust is a grace, not a simple human virtue.  On my own, I cannot do this.  I know, I've tried, I've failed, again and again.  It actually feels rather like lunacy.

So, I am holding on to the hope that all the other things Jesus says are also true, including Whatever we ask for in His name, we will receive.

1 comment: