...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Gemini Sighting

I love the stars.  Even as little kid, when my older brothers tried to teach me about constellations, I would just stare at them in awe and send wishes to any star I saw... it really didn't matter if it was the first star in the sky that night.  The only one I could reliably point out was the North Star, and my oldest brother promised when he grew up and started exploring space, he would move near there so I could always find him.

Different constellations have little rooms inside my heart.  I can find Orion now, no problem, and since Orion is always tickling Castor's foot, I can always find Gemini.  Gemini has a special place in my heart, and two of my tattoos are little dotted Orion and Gemini with Castor and Pollux picked out.  I love the thought of The Hunter playing with the Twins.  I find it comforting.

I love living in a city that values being able to see stars so highly we have all kinds of rules about night lighting -we are an official Dark Sky City.  No matter where you are, the stars are twinkling at you, reminding you to look up and gaze in wonder at something so much bigger than yourself.

It is the one place it is easy for me to connect with God, also something much bigger than myself.  Under the quiet sky, trees rustling, planes and satellites and meteors causing excitement in the foreground of the placid indigo sky, my breathing (usually tight and shallow) eases slow and deep, and all the petty annoyances of my daytime life seem to ebb away.

No comments:

Post a Comment