...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Why?

This morning as my ADHD brain wandered about freely before the adderall kicked in, I realized I know the word, "why" in 7 languages.

It amused me greatly when I realized I can ask WHY??? in so many different ways, and NEVER UNDERSTAND THE ANSWER!

por qué warum pourqoui почему perché bakit poukisa dlaczego
Spanish, German, French, Russian, Italian, Tagalog, Haitian Creole and Polish

Wait -that's 8 -well, I told you I was ADHD!

I pick up bits and pieces of languages and sometimes some words stick.  I'm not really fluent in any language except English. 

My French accent is atrocious, so even though I know a bit from taking it in high school, I never ever speak it.  It comes in handy reading stuff when I'm in Canada, though.  I lump along in Russian okay, at least enough to make it to the American Embassy if I am ever in trouble. A wee bit of Tagalog that my dear friend Hope taught me when we were roommates. I remember "poukisa" from a Law and Order episode where an interrogator said, "Poukisa my a$$" and I had to look it up and it has been occupying a part of my brain that might otherwise have found the cure for cancer.  German and Polish (swear words and insults mostly) from having the relatives I have.

I digress.  So, I can ask WHY and not understand the answers because I don't actually know the language.

I think it is all metaphorical for when I shake my fist at the Heavens and begin demanding answers from God, mostly relating to WHY???  WHY???

WHY are there kids eating freakin mud in this world when others have so much food they waste it?

WHY do wonderful, good, faithful people develop horrible illnesses like brain cancer and evil people seem to be healthy and prosperous?

WHY did God make it so we can't see ALL the colors?

and many more WHYs than answers I understand.

Sometimes, I think God and I speak completely different languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment