...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Sigh

My brother and sister in law's divorce has been on my mind. It just feels so unreal that people who have been together for 20 years can simply be done with each other.

They certainly aren't the first people I love to go through a divorce... It just seems that it happened so fast. Six months from announcement to finalization. Deciding on who gets what and how parenting will be handled and all the million surgical cuts that are made to separate a family, all accomplished in six months.

I do not know how people recover from this. I know that they do, mostly.

I have only seen a couple of marriages I would want to emulate. Considering that most of the people I know are married, that is a poor statistic. But the marriages I admire are the ones where each spouse's love for the other is so big that love spills out onto everyone around them - their kids, friends, coworkers. Everyone. They speak respectfully to each other and about each other. They are thoughtful and kind to each other. They see themselves as on the same team.

I really do wish I saw more of that sort of behavior among married couples. Maybe that's why the divorce rate is so high.

Personally, I'm waiting for that kind of relationship to get married in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment