...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Not About the Election

I am blessed and lucky.

This past week, I collected three prizes.  One was getting my story published, one was a Radio Flyer wagon I bought a raffle ticket for at the county fair and the third was a real true genuine iPad3 a vendor was raffling at a conference I attended recently.

I am blessed.

Blessed for SO MANY REASONS -my wonderful, supportive, amazing friends, having parents who valued education, having family who is there when push comes to shove,  a comfortable life, a neurotic adorable dog, access to great health care of all kinds, people who believe in me when I forget to believe in myself, a job I love that I am really good at and that makes a big difference in the world and most especially a God and Savior who loves me beyond all reason.

I am lucky.

I have been genuinely surprised when I enter my name in some drawing and didn't win.  I am lucky not just because I tend to win things like raffles and card games, but because in retrospect, so many many things could have turned out so, so differently and mere chance (and intervention of the angels that surround me!) seemed to have played a part.  Small decisions that at the time seemed almost meaningless, that led me down an unexpected path to where I am today -geographically and spiritually and physically.

I met with a gentleman yesterday who came to Mesa, AZ during WWII to train with the Royal Air Force (he was English, needless to say.)  He chose Mesa out of the other 5 training choices because he figured it was near to California and he might see some movie stars!  He ended up building his life here and has become a great philanthropist. He pondered that that simple decision when he was 19 years old made all the difference in how his life played out.

I am blessed and lucky.

Usually, it is the small and simple daily decisions that determine the direction of our lives.  Today, will I work out or sleep in?  Will I let my mood determine how I treat people around me?  Will I touch base with God's loving power or give into the relentless whisper of despair?  Will I think of myself as Blessed and Lucky in a life led by God or at the mercy of faceless Fates?

Just a thought.  This isn't about the election.

No comments:

Post a Comment