...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Monday, October 15, 2012

Angels Whispering

Okay, so... hmmm... sometimes it might be that I put off doing stuff that scares me.  Like, well, dealing with student loan people or perhaps maybe my taxes.

Yes, I'm a tax attorney and I do my own taxes out of pride, but put them off until today because I had extra complicated stuff and was frankly worried about the financial hit.  And yes, I do know all about interest and penalties.

Today I sort of had the day off work.  I had taken vacation time, but ended working a half day anyway due to some deadlines.  Anyway, I met my dear friend Michelle for lunch and confided I had not yet done my taxes.

"It's less scary to know than to not know.  Just do them and find out," she urged me.

Now, once I had decided to keep extending the deadline, I had kind of forgotten about them.  For some reason today they were on my mind.

So, I bit my lip, grabbed my forms, and did my taxes.  Found out today is the last day to efile -so if I hadn't filed them TODAY, I would have quite a wait on my refund.

Yep, I said refund.  I did get money back.

I had built up the scariness in my mind to the point I didn't even want to think about them, much less DEAL with them.  And all that anxiety for nothing.

Huh.  Almost like worry doesn't accomplish much.  Hard to believe.

2 comments:

  1. Yesterday I also had to remind myself worry is useless.

    "Pray, hope and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer. Prayer is the best weapon we have; it is the key to God's heart. You must speak to Jesus not only with your lips but with your heart. In Fact on certain occasions you should speak to him only with your heart." -Padre Pio

    I keep that quote above my desk.

    ReplyDelete