...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

the Fools and the Children

When I was in college, I managed to drop the corner of a bookcase we were moving on my foot, which left a lovely gash that subsequently became infected.  I was too busy to coddle a mere foot, however, so spent a day walking around Chicago in ill-fitting shoes and aggravating the problem.  When I finally went into the student health center for treatment, the nurse took one look and sighed, "The Lord protects the fools and the children!"

Thank God, because really, we have enough problems without adding being completely unprotected among them!

The other day, I nonchalantly mentioned to a friend that God is very protective of me.  I was referring to the fact that when I visit Vegas and I'm all happy and centered, lots of chances to make big mistakes present themselves and I walk away easily.  When I'm all off center and want to be BAD in a big way, suddenly there are no opportunities!

When I thought about that statement later, I kinda got all warm and fuzzy, because I really really like the thought that God really IS protective of me and places angels in all the necessary danger zones and I can take a deep breath and relax because He has it handled.  I'm safe.

I love the thought that someone bigger than myself is looking out for me.  I love that God cherishes me to the point He knows all my vulnerabilities and weak spots and failings, and rather than leaving me out in a field to die from my own dumbness or actively exploiting them to an evil end (As humans are known to do to each other!) He makes Himself a shield and assigns angels to the task as well.

Before every class almost, my dance teacher has us fling away all the negative energy and imagine a lovely veil floating around us that only lets positive, affirming energy in.  I started doing that before I walk into the gym or to the track to run or really any other place I can feel my anxiety creeping up on me.  Only I picture this warm flame of God's love and lots of happy guardian angels swirling around me and whispering love into my ears.

Today, I am praying the same thing for a young woman I love more than my life, that she feels all bubblewrapped in God's love and protection, and surrounded by happy guardian angels who will whisper love into her ears.  We can do that, you know -ask God for something good and He will hear our every word.

No comments:

Post a Comment