...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Five Acres

It is so easy to get distracted and downhearted when I focus not on the problems actually confronting me, but on the problems that MIGHT confront me, or the problems actually confronting someone else.

I had a conversation with someone last night who was complaining about a colleague and her list of complaints seemed to have a wide variation.  At the end, I advised her that since she does not report to that person, and that person has no real effect on her day-to-day existence, that falls outside the five acres she is responsible for.  I encouraged her to refocus on her own responsibilities.

I can do that, too, though.  As I rub along through life, I do get distracted by the people around me struggling with difficult or dissolving marriages, relationships that are not sustainable, unhappy work environments, and like most people, wish there was something I could do to help.  Worrying on their behalf, however, never does seem to help.  Being stressed in solidarity does not make others less stressed out.

I read a story a few years ago about a person who worked in an extremely poor area marked by violence, and every night as he left the settlement house, he prayed, "Lord, please help all these people.  These are not my people, these are Your people, and You can protect them all better than I can."  It was his way of acknowledging that he is not a messiah.

It is important to offer help and support, but equally important to know that salvation for anyone from anything, comes from God alone.

2 comments:

  1. This is so true. It's hard to separate other people's problems from my own when I care for them so much.

    ReplyDelete