...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Wise and Foolish

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.  James 1:5

When my eyes are watching God, I usually know the right thing to do.  Sometimes it isn't pleasant, but still, it is the right thing to do.  Mostly, it is rather inconvenient, as following God interrupts the flow of whatever I was getting drenched in.

Yesterday was my first day back at work after being out of town for almost 2 weeks.  I spoke to a friend later, pondering, "How does the university stay open when I'm not here??"  I hadn't even been on vacation, just working out of town!

Yesterday, my interruptions got interrupted.  Various issues flared and last-minute meetings called.  i found myself getting wound up and making arbitrary decisions simply because I did not have time to think things through.

On such days, I usually do not make time to eat or get outside.  Somewhere around mid-morning, I realized that I did not have the luxury of starving myself because I was meeting my trainer after work, and if I showed up without having fueled properly, I'd be mean to him and probably get sick.  So I set reminders on my calendar to eat, so I would be forced to stop what I was doing and acknowledge I'm human and have to eat.

Then, at 5PM, I threw on my workout clothes and walked out the door, leaving a few things unfinished (GASP!)  They were still there this morning, proving my theory that no one will sneak in and do my work if I leave it overnight.

God wants me to take good care of myself, which in turn helps me be a better employee, better manager, better friend and sister and volunteer and all the other titles I cherish.  This wisdom eluded me for many years, until I asked God for help, and He gave it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment