...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Happy St. Hedwig's Day!

As everyone knows, Oct 16 is the feast of St. Hedwig of Silesia.  Okay maybe not EVERYONE, but I'm trying to find a reason to like October 16th.

Traditionally, October is a horrid month for my family anyway, (several deaths during this month!) but since my mom died on this date 14 years ago, and last year on this exact same date was a horrible day, I am simply not fond of this day. 

I always swore if I ever got married, it would be in October, just to reclaim the month.  Heck, my niece Amelia wanted to avoid October so much, she hung on to be born until November 1!  Smart girl!

Out of curiosity, I checked to see what St. Hedwig is the patron saint of:  Bavaria, Duchesses, Silesia, Victims of Jealousy, Brides, Death Of Children, Difficult Marriages, Widows, Orphans.

After reading a couple short bios on her, I have a great deal of respect for the woman.  SEVEN kids!  Then basically became a nun after the kids were raised and her husband died.  And other interesting stuff.  But her life was not one sheltered from the storms and she kept the faith.

I really respect that.

Sometimes when things get so perfectly dark and you can't see any sort of light at the end of the tunnel, it is perfectly reasonable to give up.  Any sensible person would.

But hope drives us on, and faith makes us persevere.  Which makes me think being Christian is perfect for all us irrational people.

Jeremiah 29:11: I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. Plans for your welfare and not your detriment, to give you a future and a hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment