...it is not by the sword or the spear that the Lord saves...1Sam 17:47

I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance. This heartbeat is louder than death. “ — Suheir Hammad

Monday, October 22, 2012

Take My Breath Away

Nope, this isn't another whiny rant about asthma.

Have you ever noticed that when you see something so heartbreakingly beautiful there is no sense in taking a picture of it because the picture will turn out nothing like what you actually saw?  The eye sees color nuances that photos can't capture.  Every eye is also different in the colors it can perceive, so literally no one sees anything exactly the same way.

As I drove in to work this morning, the clouds hung below the peaks and looked so, so beautiful I wanted to snap a picture, but of course I was driving and anyway had left my phone in the trunk.

I thought about how even if I did get a photo and post it here, you would not see what I saw. Even if you had been in the car with me, you would have seen it slightly differently.

This got me to thinking about how we all see things differently, remember things differently, experience things differently.

And that simply the way we are created makes sure that this happens.  It is actually intentional.  We are supposed to all see things differently and provide our different perspectives within relationship to each other -because the only way I can get a little glimpse of how someone else sees something is if they communicate that to me.

I think about all the times I've felt like the "square peg" or "jolly green giant" or "outlier" or "different" in the many, many ways I just simply can't conform.  Usually, I just feel all weird about it, especially in a work situation where my view is so radically different than the viewpoints around me that I begin to think perhaps my perspective is invalid.

I think we have all felt that way at times and by listening to other people, our own perspectives are enriched.  Tunnel vision serves no one.

Georgia O'Keefe once said, "To see takes time, like to have a friend takes time."  I think seeing and being a friend, are kind of the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment